College Tuition

How to get your ex-spouse or partner to pay a portion of college

In Massachusetts, the Family Law Court has the authority to order divorced parents to contribute something to their children’s college education expenses. Usually the court won’t deal with this at trial unless the child is nearly at the age to attend college, but many agreements will address the issue in some way. When it comes to the payment of college education expenses, the specific language that your agreement is very important. Many agreements require parents to contribute in proportion to their incomes and abilities at the time the college bill becomes due. However, if your agreement states that you are to share equally, then that could require you to contribute one half of the cost. How educational costs are defined by the agreement could differ greatly and the specific language of your Divorce Agreement will be key to determining exactly what you are required to pay. And if you are required to pay a specific amount and you don’t you could be liable for Contempt. If the issue of payment of college is modifiable in your agreement or defined vaguely or even not at all, then when it comes time to determine how the college education expenses are going to be split, you should try to reach agreement with your ex-spouse on this issue. Often, an uncontested agreement cannot be met. Therefore you or your attorney must file a Complaint for Modification to have the court determine contributions. If you have a specific agreement, but it is modifiable and you

Read More »
Ask a question…
close slider

Life Complicated?
We Can Help

Fill out the form below and tell us your story.

Call Now Button